Friday, February 8, 2008

Week in Review

It has been an odd few days. Full of ups and downs and what-the's and huh's. Weather, work, sports, politics, television, you name it. Frankly, it's been more than my big melon head can grasp and therefore had to be helped along by a couple of cocktails last night.


Sunday - Super Bowl.
How the hell did that happen? Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I have great love and admiration for the Manning family and enjoy that the SEC continues to rise to the top even in the pros. I'd also like to point out that the last two Superbowl champion quarterbacks aren't just brothers, they also had the same assistant/head coach, David Cutcliffe. Duke, you might want to pay attention.


Monday - An enjoyable day at work.
Huh? Well, it wasn't for my regular job, so that might explain things a bit. Turns out it makes a difference in a person's overall mental health to be treated like they are capable and competent and told that they're appreciated. Fascinating. Who knew?


Tuesday - Emotional rollercoaster.
  • 8:00 am - I get to vote! What's better is I get to choose between two candidates that I genuinely like and think would do a great job.
  • 6:30 pm - The Republicans in my state look like they're finally going to remove their collective heads from their collective asses and NOT vote for the guy who freely admits he doesn't believe in evolution. My faith in society (or at least the conservative part of my state's society) has been restored!
  • 6:32 pm - Oh wait... no... they did anyway... Huckabee wins Tennessee. Heads and faith back to original position, please.
  • 7:00 pm - It's Shrove Tuesday / Fat Tuesday / Pancake Night at church (YEA!), but I'm too tired from my day to drag my lazy ass out of the house in time to get both pancakes AND watch basketball at my mother's house. So I choose basketball (BOO! Well, God says BOO, I say sometimes you have to choose between church and the Vols and that God should be understanding and sing Rocky Top instead)
  • 8:00 pm - Tennessee men's basketball team is looking pretty awful against Florida.
  • 9:15 pm - Tornado sirens start going off and our county goes under a tornado warning. I sit in the bathroom for half an hour with my sister-in-law and niece and occasionally my brother, who pops in every so often to give us updates on the game. See, I'm not the only one. Church vs. the Vols. Mother Nature vs. Vols. Sometimes you have to make choices.
  • 9:45 pm - Tennessee comes back and puts a serious smackdown on Florida.
  • 10:30 pm - I go home and sit in the 3ft x 5ft /only interior/non-windowed part of my house with two dogs and watch the news as multiple tornadoes destroy portions of my state and kill many people.
Wednesday - Ash Wednesday.
Too tired and upset from the previous night to get much done, but also don't make it to Ash Wednesday service like I should. God can legitimately boo me on this one.


Thursday - Margaritas and LOST.
Drinks first and then watched a tape of LOST. And, unlike the Republican primary in my state, it actually does restore my faith a bit (LOST, not the tequila). In our society of really horrible and dumbed-down everything - books, music, television, movies and presidential administrations - this continues to be one of the most complex, fascinating and intelligent pieces of anything I've seen my country produce in a very long time. I shouldn't get all verklempt about a television show, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. The tequila's not bad either.


Friday - Penalty Bulldogs: Unstatesmanlike Conduct.
Some yahoo state legislator in Georgia wants to redraw the Tennessee / Georgia border a mile further north and just coincidentally (I'm sure) to the banks of the Tennessee River. What? You've sucked dry all of your own water PLUS all that you've stolen from Florida and Alabama so now you're coming after ours? Is this legislator named C. Montgomery Burns? Are you also planning to construct a giant shade to take away our sunlight? How about you just stop praying for rain and paving over shit and start trying to solve your own problems without pissing off your neighbors? Because I have to tell ya, the Volunteer State has kicked your ass over silly things like footballs and basketballs in the past few months so don't think we wouldn't do it over water.

Saturday - Don't know what's in store, but I think I'm better off just pretending the week ends on Friday.

No comments: