Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"It is the ability to choose that makes us human."

That was today's quote on my daily email from Real Simple. It is from Madeleine L'Engle, author of A Wrinkle in Time and a fellow Episcopalian who believed that God's love and grace was intended for all people. All.

Coincidentally, the email that followed it was a link to an online petition and a video from The Courage Campaign.

Prop 8, that amended the California state constitution to invalidate gay marriage, is now being taken to the Supreme Court. My good buddy, blast-from-the-past, Bastard Extraordinaire, Ken Starr is leading the team trying to uphold the ruling.

The Courage Campaign is one of the organizations trying to appeal.

Not being gay or a resident of California or knowing a great deal about law or government means that my opinion on the matter isn't the most educated or informed. But since that hasn't seemed to stop anyone else...

I will say that if you are in favor of Prop 8 AND of the political persuasion that allegedly believes in smaller government, then maybe you should think twice. Because a government that decides who should and should not be allowed to marry sounds a bit like big government to me.

And I will say that if you are in favor of Prop 8 because of your religious beliefs, then maybe you should reconsider using your God to try and make laws and change constitutions. Because I don't think you would enjoy it much if I ever used my God to do the same thing.

The only other thing I will say is that I think Madeline is right. It is the ability to choose that makes us human. So if you are human then maybe you should get to choose who you marry. And if you already get to choose who you marry, then maybe you should try acting a little more human.



The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear the appeal on March 5.
Click here if you'd like to sign the petition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this.