Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Return

I have returned from the Atlanta 3 Day / 60-mile breast cancer walk. Alive. And with all of my lower appendages in tact.

My calves and feet did try to secede from the rest of my body several times, but they're hanging around for now. My very wide feet were part of the problem. Seriously, if they were webbed I could give Michael Phelps a run for his money. But on land all it means is that my shoes tend to not fit as well in the heel and that caused very nasty blisters. Also, I apparently have tendinitis. At the time I just thought it was normal for your feet to feel like they were on fire after you walked 18 miles or so. Turns out they're not really supposed to do that AND there's a name for it. Who knew?

Things are pretty much all better now though and it was totally worth it. Not hey-lets-do-this-again-next-year worth it, but I'm definitely glad I did it this once.

I walked all but six or so of the 60 miles, which at times really bummed me out, but I eventually came to my senses and decided that it's not too shabby.

There will be more details to come and of course lots o' photos, but I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks again to everyone for their nice words - and cash :) Our team raised more than $7,000 and the entire event raised more than $8 million. Also not too shabby.

Later,
Gert

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you! Wow--that's some serious hoofing--ad for a good cause. Way to go, Gert!

Anonymous said...

Blisters aside, you rock Gert!

Hope the tendonitis goes away soon--ouch! Anti-inflammatories and rest, as if~